Monday, October 4, 2010

Eventful Days!

Hola todos,

I've been having lots more great days in Buenos Aires! =) First, some pictures!

 There are lots of street vendors in Buenos Aires. I took this picture because the vendor was tamboreando (drumming) on the stand. Behind him you can see a colectivo — a public bus. Each route has distinctive colors. At night a lot of them play 80's American music!
 
Some angels from the statue in front of el Conreso (the Congress).

 The top of the fountain, the congress' spire, and the beautiful Argentinian flag (baby blue and white!).
I just like this picture! The woman here is drinking mate: traditional Argentine tea.
 Graves (tumbas) at el Cementerio Recoleta.
 This one looked at first like it was flying.
 I love these flower scarves (at the feria/craft fair at Recoleta). The woman here is the artist who made them!
 MALBA. <3
 Some amazing graffiti at el Centro Cultural Recoleta.
 I especially like the grey chihuahas in the top left.
 An Obelisco (like the landmark) to commemorate the bicentenario (200th anniversary) of Buenos Aires, full of typically Argentine things (including a subte pass, a colectivo ticket, Argentine flags, indigenous dolls, etc).
 A little girl feeding the birds at Congreso.
 I loved this graffiti. It says "I decide; my body does not have a price; when a woman says no, it means no."
 "I decide; there should be no more victims."
 "No means no; my body is not for sale."
 The church by el Cementerio Recoleta.
 A movie theater at el Centro Cultural San Martín: I just like this picture!
A librería: I love how some of them are open-air!

On Thursday I went to two botanical gardens with my friend Antonina. They were really beautiful (I'll go back soon to take some pictures!). The first and biggest of the two that we visited was free. It had lots of cacti, flowers, trees, and statues. One sculpture I loved was a replica of the Capitoline Wolf, which depicts babies Romulus and Remus (the founders of Rome) suckling a wolf. I remembered seeing that sculpture my junior year of high school in an art history book!

The second garden we went to was a Japanese garden donated by the Japanese Embassy to commemorate their prince's visit to Buenos Aires. It was full of freesias and manicured bushes and had some pretty red bridges, stone statues, and koi fish. I saw some of my favorite Korean candies for sale there and ate a delicious melon popsicle! 

After the gardens I went to see a movie at MALBA (the art museum-- one of my favorite places here, if it wasn't obvious!). The movie, "La terra trema" ("The Earth Will Shake"), was made in Italy in the 1950's, commissioned by the Communist Party. They played the original reel and projected subtitles in Spanish below it. It's a truly amazing film! It follows a fishing family and shows them gradually losing everything they have: the most touching portrayal of poverty I've seen in a movie. The cinematography is amazing, too: I still have scenes from the movie stuck in my head. I recommend it!

That movie made me want to see as many more as I could, so on Saturday I went to another projection at Teatro San Martín (a cultural center). They're playing classic French films this week. The one I saw was "Sin aliento" ("Breathless"), a surrealist film. It was definitely surreal, and a bit James Bond style. There was a coveted American girl in the movie, which I thought was pretty funny!

Yesterday I saw an Argentine independent film at MALBA: "El pasante" ("The Intern"). There were lots of "argentinismos" (typically Argentine things) in the movie, which I like. It wasn't a compelling story, but it was cool to be able to recognize things, and the cinematography was good.

On Saturday (the day I saw the French movie), I also went to a jazz concert and some librerías (book stores!!) with some friends. I also went to el Congreso (the Congress) again: one of my favorite buildings here!

Sunday I tried to go to MALBA again to see another old movie about two revolutionaries, one right-wing and one left-wing, falling in love, but realized on the bus that I'd missed my stop! I got off in front of el Cementerio Recoleta (the cemetary), and decided to go there. There are ferias (craft fairs) everywhere on Sunday, and there's a really good one there! I listened to jazz music, saw a puppet show, and looked at all the crafts (there were lots of paintings of Buenos Aires landmarks and tango dancers, mate cups, purses, clothes, etc.). While walking, I met a nice guy named Lucio, and we went to the Centro Cultural Recoleta (a beautiful cultural center/museum) and the cemetary!

In other news, as you might have noticed, I finally replaced my camera! Camera shopping was a bit of a frustrating experience, but I'm glad to be able to take and share pictures again! I'd missed it. =)

Tardé mucho en escribir esto (it's taken me forever to write this blog), so now I'm going to get to sleep! Tomorrow will be another exciting day: I'll be visiting Brukman Factory. I'll write a blog about that in the next few days!

Ciao, mis amores!
Kaeli 

1 comment:

  1. thanks a lot for sharing this!! I think this can be very usefull for my visit to Argentina. I've already planned to stay in some apartments for rent in buenos aires in novemember. So after reading this I think I know what I should visit thre. Of course if you want to give me any extra recommendations, that would be great! thanks

    ReplyDelete