Sunday, August 15, 2010

Corrientes y Callao

Tonight I went to Corrientes y Callao, an intersection famous for its librerías (bookstores). It's an especially active area at night. (There's a strange schedule here-- from what I can tell, everyone's out in the morning. From about 12-5 pm, everything's completely dead, and from 10pm-4am, everyone is out!) I got to the intersection around 7:00, and everything was closed! I wondered if maybe nothing was open on Sunday. I decided to walk around and look for anything that was open, but instead ran into the Congress Building again. I'd read today that the architecture along the whole street from el Congreso to la Plaza de Mayo is famous. I was wondering (at home) which direction I should walk to see all that, but when I got there and looked around, it wasn't hard to figure out! The buildings and sculptures were so amazing!

I didn't want to walk too far away from the subway, so after about an hour I headed back. At about 8:00, everything had started up! (And things got busier and busier as time went on.) The bookstores, like the buildings, were amazing! There are lots of used books at excellent prices, and I picked up one of my favorite works in Spanish (Églogas by Garcilaso-- I'd been trying to remember the name of that for a long time, but I flipped a book open, and there it was!). It was one of the bargains-- only 4 pesos (about a dollar!). The first (and best) of the bookstores I checked out played Beatles music the entire time. The second played swing, and the third American pop.


 
Here's a picture from the first time I went to Corrientes y Callao, on an educational trip. We saw the Obalisque and then went to a famous pizza restaurant, El Güerrin. The ice cream in the picture was chocolate, strawberry, and lemon. All the dessert here is very delicious (riquísimo!).

 

Chau!
Kaeli

No comments:

Post a Comment