Sunday, August 8, 2010

Primer día con la familia de Susana

Hola todos,

My first few days in Buenos Aires have been jam-packed! Today I saw la Casa Rosada: a lot like the White House, except pink! I also saw the oldest neighborhood in Buenos Aires and walked around a big flea market of crafts and antiques. I had medialunas--half moon croissants-- for breakfast, and steak and salad for lunch. Lunch is a multiple-hour affair here, and all us students were already very tired from all the sightseeing and traveling we'd done in the last few days. You can see us drifting to sleep at the table! We all had espresso for dessert, though, and that woke us up a bit.



After that we had a 2-hour orientation about what to expect at our host families' houses. After that, our host moms came to the hostel, and we all grabbed our three or four big suitcases and set off!

My host mom's name is Susana. She has two children who live at home, a son and a daughter, who study sport journalism and medicine, respectively. So far I've met Ale, the daughter I mentioned, and one of the two older daughters, who don't live at home any more. They all seem really nice. The house is wonderful, too! I have my own big room with closet and dresser space and a bathroom. Susana said I could help myself to snacks, breakfast, etc. I think I will like it here!

I understand relatively well (about 80% of what is said), but have a hard time communicating so far. It's a little frustrating not being able to speak well-- plus the little differences I've encountered so far, like not being used to the keys. But it's a friendly city, and I'm sure it will all work out fine. =)

Like I said before, I'm tired! I'm going to take a short nap now before dinner (everyone eats late here-- around 9:30 or 10pm). At dinner I'll meet the rest of the family and celebrate El Día del Nino-- Children's Day-- with them.

Hasta luego!
Kaeli

1 comment: