Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cine, teatro, helado

Hola todos,

I had another great week in Buenos Aires. I'd completely exhausted my food supply by the middle of the week and had to go grocery shopping. I didn't feel like it and procrastinated going, but... I love grocery shopping here! It means a trip to the health and oriental stores of Chinatown, which are cheaper than other grocery stores and have (for me) more delicious things. So far I've added two new recipes to my repertoire: Waldorf salad and curry. I also replenished my supply of herb-flavored soy spread and sunflower bread and discovered that my favorite kind of tea is jasmine. Yummmm, haha.



I had a second interview at a business in Retiro, the fancy business district of Buenos Aires. The interview went well, but I'm still waiting to see if I'll get the job. While I was there I saw a photo exhibition themed around music education. It was beautiful. I really like Retiro!


On Wednesday I saw an acrobatic tango and milonga show by 8cho. The dancing and special effects were impressive, but the music was my favorite part. I love tango, milonga, and salsa songs! I highly recommend the 8cho shows. They're put on for free (city-sponsored) every few months or so. It is great to live in a capitol!


On Friday I saw another classic movie at MALBA: "Shame," a Swedish movie from the 60's directed by Ingmar Bergman. It shows how one married couple's lives (and the town they lived in) are completely devastated by war. It is a powerful anti-war movie, which I highly recommend.

Saturday I met an Argentine girl named Eli and saw a play with her downtown: "Family Code," a work based on a true story about a lawyer's experience working with two members of the same family, one of whom shot and killed the other. She got free tickets from a friend who was involved in the production and I got to chat a while with some very artsy folks. After the play we got some coffee and talked until 2am!


Today I wrote a bit and got some free tea and ice cream through Nelson, an Argentine friend who works at an ice cream shop. Ice cream (more specifically, helado argentino) connections are great to have! haha. My new favorite ice cream flavor is: dark chocolate.

I also rediscovered my love for Billie Holiday! My favorite song of hers so far is "All of Me":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P0hG3sD0-E


Love and miss you all!
Kaeli

No comments:

Post a Comment